How To Test Your Internet Speed The internet speed test measures the speed of your internet connection. Your connection speed includes things like download speed and upload speed.
Important: This feature isn’t available in some countries and regions. You can test your internet download and upload speed:
The test takes about 30 seconds. It figures out your internet speed by measuring how much data can move through your connection in that time.
The internet speed test measures your connection’s download speed, upload speed, and latency. The best internet connections have high download and upload speeds but low latency.
- Download speed is how fast information can transfer to you. It affects things like how long it takes to download large files or show pages with many pictures. Download speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps).
- Upload speed is how fast information can transfer from you. It affects things like how long it takes to post pictures to social media. Upload speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps).
- Latency measures how quickly you get a response from the server. Low response times are important for real-time apps, like video calls and online gaming. Latency is measured in milliseconds (ms).
Use of Information
We use information to provide, analyze, administer, enhance the Fast.com speed testing service and the Netflix service performance. For example, we use such information to:
- determine your general geographic location, localize the experience, determine your ISP to support network troubleshooting (we also use aggregated ISP information for operational and business purposes). We may also use aggregated information to encourage and assist ISPs to improve network speeds;
- secure our systems, prevent fraud and help us protect the security of Fast.com;
- prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud;
- analyze and understand our audience, improve our service (including our user interface experiences and service performance);
- communicate with you concerning our service so that we can send you consumer surveys and to assist you with customer service requests. These communications may be by various methods, such as email.